What’s in the fridge? Wednesday
I have no plan for dinner, but I know I need to make something. What is in my fridge and pantry?
Rustic gnocchi with mushroom sauce
Servings: 2 PeoplePrint Recipe
- olive oil 2 tbsp
- Mushrooms about 8 good sized ones
- Gnocchi I had Feta and spinach
- Leek 2 inches
- Unsalted Butter a good chunk
- garlic as you like
- Chilli Flakes pinch
- Smoked Paprika sprinkle
- Basil pinch
- Dill pinch
- Cream about a third of a container
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Parmesan optional
- First: Prep the veggies. Chopping mushrooms, leek and garlic to your preferred size - You want to cook and finish everything, around the same time.
- Bring a medium pot salted water to the boil for the gnocchi. Usually it takes about 3-5 min depends if frozen or dry etc.
- In a large pan bring about a 1/2 cup of salted water to the boil for the veggies and sauce.
- Cook the mushroom and leek in the water till tender and the water is just about boiled away
- Add a spoon of butter. Just as it melts add in the garlic, herbs and spices. A quick stir then add the cream. I refilled the cream jar with about 100ml of water, it helps thin out the sauce a bit and gets all the creamy goodness out the jar
- Bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Taste and make sure you're happy with flavours. Adjust as needed.
- Tastes test the gnocchi for readiness. Carefully - Drain the gnocchi and add to the sauce. Bring to a hard boil and once everything nicely mixed, serve.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and some crushed black pepper. Dinner is done.
While prepping your veg, heat your serving plates in the oven 50°C - if it is winter Using water to cook your mushrooms is a healthier choice, and the mushrooms don't shrivel too much this way.