- Rinse rice (3x so water runs almost clear)
- Cook 2 cups of rice - I use my rice cooker and fill to water line as required - Add the optional herbs now
- When the water has just about evaporated and rice nearly cooked, add the sliced sausage to the cooker
- The residual heat will cook the sausage and the oils will melt over the rice - I didn't say this was a healthy dish
- If you're using the dried shrimp add that in once the cooker clicks over to warm
- Add some chopped spring onion to the top and let all this steam while you cooking the eggs
Now for the egg, this dish NEEDS the egg.
Anyone who knows me, knows I have some odd food quirks and eggs are one of them.
I just struggle to eat them, it's the warm runny texture of yolk, and then the undercooked egg whites... NOPE!
Over the years, I've learnt to eat them and even enjoy them, but 100% I will not watch the gooey yellow yolk spread all over my plate, and in no way will I eat egg on its own, if I can't hide it amongst other food traveling to my mouth, it's gonna be left on the plate.
Anyway so this egg;
Heat pan *When you can sprinkle water on the pan and it evaporates, you know its ready
- Break egg into the pan and roll pan around a little
- This will spread the egg white thinner which helps to cook it better and gives you more to fold over
- Reduce heat now to low
- When the white looks almost cooked through *see picture* take a spatula and gently fold the white over the yolk
- Keep an eye on the yolk, and cook to your liking - keep it a little soft
All your elements are now ready
Give rice a stir, so oils mix well
Dish your rice, add some fresh spring onion and top with egg - This is when I poke holes through the egg and the yolk runs over the rice, #hidden
The hot rice should continue to cook the egg
Serve with fresh chilli, soy sauce and leafy greens.