Servings: 8 people Size 3 Pot
A hand me down family recipePrint Recipe
- Number 3 Potjie Pot
- ½ cup Flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2½ kg Oxtail pieces
- 1 kg smoked pork rib
- 6 Carrots 2-3cm chunks
- 8 medium Potatoes washed and quartered
- 2 Leek Washed and chopped
- 2 Onion
- 1-2 tin Baby corn
- 500 g Button mushrooms ~40
- 4 cloves Garlic
Spices, flavour and Sauce
- 1 Cup Red wine
- 1-2 L Beef stock Can do 1 litre Stock 2 litre water / Vice versa
- 1-2 L Water
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brussel sprouts
- Patti Pan
- Place flour in a big Ziplock bag and mix generousliy with Salt and some pepper.
- Put a handful of oxtail into the bag and coat them well with the flour mix. Repeat with all the oxtail pieces to preseason.
- Heat your potjie pot over open fire.Approximately a medium to high heat. Heat some water in it. Once its come to boil, use a kitchen towel to wipe down the inside of the pot, with the water and then dry up the water.
- Now, squirt a generous amount of sunflower oil into your pot, add in the leek and onion. Fry until leek is cooked. Remove from pot and keep till laterYou remove the onion and leek because it will burn otherwise.
- This step is to sear/brown all the oxtail. To do this add sunflower oil to your pot and heat it up. Cook the oxtail in batches till they are all seared.
- Return all the oxtail to the pot, along with the ribsPour in 1 cup of red wine, a good amount of Worcestershire sauce and other liquid. *about 2L of stock and then topped up with water.
- Let it cook slowly on a low to medium heat, check in on it every 30 minutes, give it a good stir and top up the water, you can keep it covered in water.**this step takes up to 4hours, the meat will become tender
- After about 2½ hours add chunky cut potatoes.
- When there's about 1 hour left add the carrots and mushrooms
- Do a taste and check the tenderness of the meat. Adjust flavour as you need.
- The potato should have cooked down a bit, and the sauce should have thickened, you can add some flour to help thinken it in the last 25 min.
- When there's about 15min left, add baby corn and onion leek mix to the top.
- Carefully remove the pot from the heat, and dish out the stew. Serve with Rice.