I tried my very first Flammkuchen in Hobart, Tasmania back in 2020, just before Covid-19 struck.
It was a simple range of toppings, but man it blew my mind!
Since then I’ve tried my hand at recreating it, and I Think I’ve almost got it. Well close enough to where it should be in texture and flavor.
Now I’m planning to share this recipe in a Cook-A-Long style in September 2021.
- Baking pan or Pizza Stone
- Mixing bowls 1 small, 1 large
- Measuring cup
- Sauté Pan
- Pizza Cutter
- 2 cup Flour all purpose
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Crème Fraiche Can substitute with Sour Cream*
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 Onions Brown/Red sliced
- Parsley chopped
- Ground black pepper
- Cornstarch for dusting
Optional Toppings – Cheese
- Any semi hard cheese: Swiss
- Blue Cheese
Optional Toppings – Meat
- 115 grams Bacon diced
- 100 grams Prosciutto sliced
- 100 grams Ham diced
- 100 grams Chicken Shredded
Optional Toppings – Vegetables/Herbs
- Button Mushrooms sliced
- Red Capsicum
- Spring Onion sliced
- Olives black kalamata sliced
- Preheat oven to 250°C bake NOT fan forced
- In a large bowl combine flour and salt, stir in oil and water until mixture begins to stick together. Turn out to a lightly floured surface and knead well until dough forms – It should be soft and smooth. 3-5 min
- Set dough aside, cover and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together crème fraiche and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large pan, sauté bacon over medium high heat, until it is cooked. Don't crisp it up too muchAbout 2-4 minutes. Remove the bacon from pan onto a paper towel. Set aside.
- Using the bacon grease, sauté brown onions over medium heat until caramelized, about 10min, stirring occasionally. If using red onions you can skip this step, but slice them a little thinner. Set aside for assembly.
- Roll and stretch out dough to 3-5 mm thick – You can make 2 smaller pizzas or 1 large one.*You can roll it out on wax paper, so it's easier to transfer to pizza stone
- Spread the dough with crème fraiche and onion, sprinkle with your selections of meat, cheese, vegetables.
- Transfer dough and baking paper to baking pan or pizza stone.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes
- Serve immediately with some wine.