I’m a huge lover of carbonara, who am I kidding, I’m a lover of all pasta, tomato or cream based. We’ll dive into that can of worms another day.
Today we talk creamy, bacon filled saucy carbonara. Sometimes cream doesn’t agree with me, other times the cream agrees just fine & I can enjoy a bowl of the heavenly stuff, but then I just feel so soooo heavy and full – I know, it’s like why does my belly want what it can’t have, I can’t win.
BUT Guess who figured out exactly how to make carbonara a cream-less creamy win, I DID!
Try out this cream free delight. Full disclosure, it’s not completely dairy free – I don’t think my yeti belly knows Pecorino & Parmesans are dairy (Shhhhh!)
Put your spin on this recipe and let me know how you go.
- 500 grams Pasta Fettuccini or angel hair
- 4 Eggs Large
- 200 grams bacon Pancetta - roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmasan Shedded
- 1/2 cup Pecorino *your favorite hard cheese - grated
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in SALTY water, almost sea water salty - Following instructions on the pasta packet cook till Al Dente. Reserve a cup of water for later.
- Saute bacon over medium heat for ± 3min ( Fat to render off a bit, and its just starting to go crispy)
- Turn off heat
- Whisk eggs and cheeses together until well mixed
- Reheat bacon and add 1/2 cup of salty pasta water
- Add pasta and mix well. Allow pasta to heat & absorb the salty water, till it just stops bubbling
- Remove pan from heat (Really important) then add egg mixture*
- If it's a little thick add more of the pasta water.