This recipe was found online here:
And since trying it and making some changes, this is how we like it.
Cantonese Steamed Fish
Servings: 2 PeoplePrint Recipe
- 2-3 Julienne Spring onions Julienned. (Scallions)
- ±2 Tablespoon Ginger Fresh, Julienned.
- 1 Bunch Cilantro Roughly chopped. (Coriander, whatever you can find)
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Water
- 2 Tablespoon Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Medium White Fish Typically Barramundi, but Basa, Butterfish / Sole / Flounder / any white fish
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Oil (optional to crisp fish)
Steaming the fish will take about 10 minutes. This will give you enough time to prepare the sauce in the meantime.
- Combine Soy Sauce, Salt, Sugar and Water into small bowl. Mix well, Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of Canola Oil in wok/small saucepan on medium/high heat
- Add Ginger and let it brown lightly (1 minute).
- Add Spring Onions - sizzle them (save some fresh spring onions to place over steamed fish before serving)
- Add Soy mixture. Cook until the scallions are wilted (30 sec)
- Fish should be done by now. Remove excess water from steaming dish.
- Plate up Fish, spread Cilantro and left over Spring Onions.
- Optional: before serving fish, spoon some really hot oil over it. This will give the surface a slight crispness.
- Pour sauce over fish eat with rice