This is a combination of recipes passed down from my mom and old landlady in South Africa. There is flexibility to change the recipe – check notesPrint Recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil can substitute Sunflower
- 500 g Bacon Diced
- 3 large Tomatoes Peeled and chopped
- 1 large Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 500g Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 greenpepper Chopped
- 2 tsp Curry spice
- 1 tsp Chilli optional*
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 cups cheese of your choice Grated
- 20 g Fresh Basil Chopped
- Pap not too stiff
- 1 tin sweetcorn *
- Cook pap to packet instruction or use my pap recipe. Less stiff – you want it malleable
- Mix in the tin of sweetcorn into your pap
Stirfry – Chakalaka style sauce
- Sauté the onions and bacon till the onion is translucent
- Add a teaspoon of butter and then add the mushrooms and greenpeppers, fry.
- Add the tomatoes, curry, chilli, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook down till the flavours are nicely married and everything is about halfway cooked.
- Cover a large oven dish with a non-stick spray
- Spoon half the porridge in the dish – even out the surface with a big spoon
- Spoon half the filling over the porridge – even it out again
- Sprinkle half the fresh chopped basil over, then half the grated cheese
- Spoon the rest of the porridge over the filling (be careful not to mess up the filling – if the porridge is too thick to comfortably spoon over, mix a little water in the pot and stir until it’s fully incorporated.)
- Once again, spoon over the rest of the filling, and finish with the basil and cheese. You could grind a little black pepper over if you want.
- Bake at 180°C till the cheese is melted and golden brown
Optional: Chilli – if you don’t like spicy The sweetcorn can be replaced by kernels – the sweetcorn helps to make pap less stiff if you buggered up the liquid ratio.